Sunday, April 26, 2009

Stage and Screen

In the last week I have seen a couple of movies and a play. The movies were Doubt, starring Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Meryl Streep, and The curious case of Benjamin Button starring Cate Blanchett and Brad Pitt.

I had seen an excellent production of Doubt at the Taproot Theater last year, it was interesting to compare it to the movie. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is a great actor and was great in this as well. It is not really an uplifting story and it leaves you guessing, but I thought the movie was a fine interpretation and would recommend it.

The curios case of Benjamin Button is based on an F. Scott Fitzgerald short story and is the tale of a person who is born old and becomes younger as he progresses through life. It is also a love story, albiet a kind of odd one, and not necessarily always a happy one. I found it very interesting, and really enjoyed it.

Today mom and I went to the Book-It theater to see The beautiful things that heaven bears. It was a wonderfully done production (as are all the Book-It productions), the story of an Ethiopian immigrant set in D.C. We both really enjoyed it and as an added bonus there was a 45 minute discussion with the cast and crew after the show. I love it when they do this, it is always interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment